External Academic Activities

All faculty members with primary appointments at the Harvard Chan School must request permission in advance to undertake certain types of external academic activities.  These activities are described in the Statement on Outside Activities of Holders of Academic Appointments, guidelines formulated by the university’s Office of the Provost.

These guidelines and instructions are sent annually and requests may be submitted at any time of year; ideally, as soon as possible after a faculty member has been approached about participating in an extensive academic activity.  The process of seeking approval from the Provost (and, if necessary, from the Corporation) can take at least one month.  Approval is generally granted only for one year at a time.

Be sure to review and complete the permission request instructions well in advance of your intended plans.

Please submit your request and direct any questions to Jennifer Ivers in the Office of Faculty Affairs, 677 Huntington Avenue (mailing address); 90 Smith Street (physical address); 617-432-1381; ivers@hsph.harvard.edu.